Interested in tweaking a few minor dishes or habits on turkey day? Use this list as a guide to creating healthier holiday alternatives to your favorite foods!
- Opt for sweet potatoes or cauliflower mashed potatoes versus white mashed potatoes.
- Use light cream or skim milk versus heavy cream or whole milk.
- Use low sodium chicken broth versus regular chicken broth.
- Prepare homemade cranberry sauce or chutney versus canned cranberry sauce.
- Bake a crustless pumpkin pie or pumpkin mousse versus pumpkin pie with crust.
- Lighten your leftovers by fixing a turkey salad, making a low carb turkey and cranberry wrap, or using avocado or hummus instead of mayonnaise on sandwiches.
- Eat breakfast on Thanksgiving Day – eating inconsistently during the day makes you overeat during the main course.
- Include a colorful vegetable as part of your appetizer or main course – make sure your spread has a variety of options!
For more ideas on healthy Thanksgiving dishes, visit Live Better America.